icu4j 3.8 final releasedthe final version of icu4j version 3.8 has just been released. to recap what's in this release:
- uses the latest cldr 184.108.40.206 locale data
- the long discussed rule based timezone changes which gives us the ability to read and write timezone data in RFC2445 VTIMEZONE format as well as also providing access to Olson timezone transitions! this is something many people have been needing for quite some time now, this is going to be very useful
- tawainese calendar (a flavor of gregorian calendar that numbers years since 1912AD)
- the Indian National Calendar (more complicated flavor of the gregorian calendar, eg it's synched up with the gregorian calendar's leap years but the extra day is added to the first month, Chaitra which starts march 22 on gregorian calendar--so, yup, it's complicated)
- charset conversion bugs were fixed and CESU-8, UTF-7 and ISCII converters have been added. also some conversion speed improvements. the UTF-7 one will be useful for email (bounce) handling
- a new MessageFormat type for plurals was added
- a pretty useful new DurationFormat class was added so you can format messages over a duration in time such as "2 days from now" or "3 hours ago"
- also the MessageFormat class will now take named arguments instead of just arrays (too bad now that coldfusion 8's javacast got a shot of steroids)
- new BIDI stuff (which i still need to investigate)
next month i'll be adding the new calendars as CFCs to the usual bits. i'll also be doing some significant changes to most of the i18n formatting methods to take better advantage of the calendar, etc. keywords (en_GB@calendar=indian,currency=EUR) on the ULocale class (icu4j's super cool locale class).
unfortunately the persian calendar still appears to be only in icu4c (C/C++) only.